Thursday, July 2, 2009

re-post: atonement (2008)

are you one of those people who watch movies they have already watched a bunch of times and then watches them again when they catch it on HBO/Cinemax or any other movie channel? Well, I am.

Atonement was on this movie channel here in TUG and I caught it when it just started. Very fortunate. After watching the film AGAIN, I was still blown away as if it was my first time to see it and I remembered that I made a "review/blog" about this film when it was nominated for a bunch of Oscar's last year. So I decided to re-post it here.

Blog entry: Atonement (Oscar's best picture nominees review #3)
Dated: February Seventeen, Twenty-Zero Eight

This film was nothing like I expected. I thought it was going to be a typical cheesy, dramatic love story, in a pre-WWII setting. I don’t even classify it as a love story; it’s more of a mystery drama film. It’s another simple made complicated story.

Keira Knightley was beautiful as always, complementing her acting talents, damn, she’s the love of my life. The interesting factor I found in this film was that there were no lead roles; they were all supporting each other. I thought Keira Knightley and James McAvoy would be the leads on this one because they were in the poster; but I was wrong. The only nominated actor/actress in this film is Saoirse Ronan as the 13-year old Briony Tallis. I believe she deserves this nomination a lot and I am routing for her, hoping she would win best actress in a supporting role. She was cute, interesting, smart, and natural. A superb acting job for such a young girl; she is somewhat the English version of Dakota Fanning.

It’s a movie wherein while you're watching, you’re not really sure what’s it about and who’s it about. You would be a bit confused if it’s an epic romance, a mystery, a war movie; but when you reach the latter part of the film, everything will be cleared up and it will surely blow your mind. Something I never expected.

One of the best endings I have ever seen in a movie. Enjoy!

Next review: No Country for Old Men

No comments:

Post a Comment